Manu Cloud Forest Tour3 days
This tour takes you to the cloud forest, the foothills of the Andes and the beginning of the Manu lowland. 1 night at Amazonia Lodge. Breathtaking scenery and a great area for birdwatching!
A short Manu tour.
Manu Cultural Zone Tours 3 - 4 - 5 days
- Manu´s Amazonia - Cultural Zone 5 days
- Manu´s Amazonia - Cultural Zone 4 days
- Manu Cloud Forest Tour 3 days
day 1: CUSCO - CLOUD FOREST - BAMBOO LODGE :
Starting early from Cusco we begin our 8 hour journey by private bus ascending to the high mountain area at 3900 m (13,000 feet). After a short stop in Ninamarca, to see the pre-Inca cemetery, and the colonial village of Paucartambo, we descend the eastern slopes of the Andes through cloud forest with lush vegetation (ferns, orchids, bromeliads etc.) We enjoy spectacular views of the Andes and can see wildlife such as our national bird: the bright red Cock of the Rocks (Rupicola peruviana) showing his mating dance. Walking along the road brilliantly coloured Tanagers, Quetzals, Trogons, Tucanets and Hummingbirds as well as hawks can be seen and possibly the first monkeys, such as Woolly Monkeys. In the late afternoon we arrive at Bamboo Lodge (900 m), where we spend the night. After dinner your guide will brief you about the activities of the following day.
- double rooms & private bathroom
day 2: BAMBOO LODGE TO AMAZONIA LODGE / VISIT MACHUWASI LAKE :
After an early breakfast we continue with our minibus: we pass the village of Pilcopata and cross the river of the same name to get to the small port of Atalaya (550 m). On the way we will stop for some walks to observe birds and to visit a local orchid garden. In Atalaya we embark on a half hour journey in a 15-meter motorized canoe down the Alto Madre de Dios River. We have the opportunity to see wildlife along the rocky banks of the river, such as Fasciated Tiger Herons, Purplish Jays, Skimmers and some of the monkey species that live in Manu. From Rio de Oro Lodge we explore some of the trails to observe birds, insects and monkeys. In the afternoon we cross over to the other side of the river to explore some of the trails to see monkeys and visit Machuwasi Lake. We use a wooden raft to explore the lake and observe the birdlife. In the evening we can go caiman spotting at the river or go on a night walk. We spend the night at Amazonia Lodge.
- double or triple rooms & private shared or bathroom
day 3: PARROT CLAY LICK - ATALAYA - CUSCO :
At dawn we travel downriver by boat to the parrot clay lick. This is a special place where parrots, parakeets and small macaws (Chestnut fronted Macaw and the rare Blue headed Macaw) go to eat minerals which help them with digestion. After the natural show we have breakfast and then take the boat back to Atalaya where our bus is waiting. We start our return trip through the cloud forest, with some stops and opportunities to see birds and monkeys. Then we travel up to the Andes again, we have lunch on the way and arrive in Cusco at around 7 pm. Transfer to your hotel.
3 - 6 persons
- December9, 16, 23, 30
- January6, 13, 20, 27
- Professional naturalist guide in English, with binoculars & spotting scope, who has done 3 months conservation work in Manu Park
- Transport by private bus and boat
- Entrance fees to Cock of the Rock observatory & Machuwasi Lake
- Cook, all food (mainly nutritious vegetarian meals*), drinks, drinking water
- Lodge accommodation
- First Aid Kit, extractor (for venom)
- Rubber boots
- * We support local farmers and buy regional products. Large areas of tropical rainforest are being destroyed for soya and oil palm plantations. Soya is used as animal food in intensive mass animal farming. We want to protect the rainforest. - You can also help!
- Alcoholic drinks
- room with private bathroom at Amazonia Lodge + 12 US$ p.p.
- personal expenses
This is the shortest Manu tour; if you have time we recommend the 4 day Manu Cultural Zone tour, which is more rewarding.
Manu Amazonia 4 days